AELE Expert Witness/Litigation Consultant Listing
David M. Grossi
Current employer or professional affiliation (and how long)?
Law Enforcement Trainer/Consultant (20 years)
9777 Alhambra Lane
Bonita Springs, Florida 34135
Fax: (239) 495-1157
(1) Relevant prior and part time employment, with dates:
Retired Lieutenant of Police/Training Commander
· Former Lead Instructor with the Calibre Press, Inc. Street Survival Seminars 1990-2000.
(2) Degrees and relevant special training:
· Bachelor's degree in Community and Human Resources (Police Administration, major) from the State University of New York.
· » Certified Police Instructor in New York and Florida in virtually all disciplines including all firearms, defensive tactics, baton (impact weapons), chemicals agents, restraint systems (handcuffing), edged weapons defense, electronic weaponry (Taser), weapon retention skills and psychomotor skills design.
· Advanced certificate in Post Shooting Trauma, Peer Counseling, and Critical Incident Stress Management.
· Over 5,000 hours of professional training in use of force, undercover narcotics investigations, tactical command management, IAD, major case investigation, police pursuits and training customs/policies. Has served as a patrol officer, undercover narcotics investigator, detective, sergeant and lieutenant in every aspect of professional law enforcement, patrol, investigative, administrative, tactical command and academy training positions.
· Has personally trained over 165,000 police officers/special agents from all 50 states and 13 foreign countries in the use of force, deadly force, edged weapons defense, baton, chemical agents, perceptual distortions in high stress situations, pursuits and general police arrest procedures. » Invited instructor to National Training Conferences for the American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers, International Association of Woman in Policing, and the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors.
(3) Other professional activities, etc.
· Memberships include the FBI National Academy Associates, IACP, American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers (Board of Directors/presenter), National Chiefs of Police Association (past vice-president for firearms training), the Police Marksman Association (advisory board member), International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (member/presenter), International Association of Police Trainers, Force Science Research Center @ Minnesota State University (advisory board member), International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association (charter member).
(4) Retainer information:
Has been retained in over 400 cases and has
testified over 60 times in the
· Is recognized in 35 state/federal courts as an expert in police use of force, pursuits, tactical command management, police training, internal affairs, and perceptual distortions under stress.
(5) Names, addresses and telephone numbers of attorneys who may be contacted as references:
Magenheim, Bateman, Robinson & Helfand
1221 McKinney, Suite 3600
Houston, TX 77010
V. Edward Formisano
Sinapi, Formisano & Company
Cleveland City Attorney’s Office
601 Lakeside Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
R. Jack Ayers
Bruno, Bruno & Colin
Denver, CO 80202
(6) Publications that contain your paid advertisements (since 1996): N/A
(7) Usual and customary fee:
$3,500 one-time fee for case review
$1,800 deposition (local), $2,500 out of town
$2,500 trial (day)
(8) Areas of Expertise and Experience
Note - Letter codes used in front
of the subject mean:
[ T ] Testified in court or at depositions on the subject;
[ R ] Retained as a consultant, but have not testified on the subject.
[ Q ] Qualified to testify or consult on the subject, but have not served as a paid consultant.
[T] Batons, flashlights, and other
[T] Chemical irritants & electronic weapons
[T] Deadly force; shooting avoidance and alternatives
[T] In-custody inmate/prisoner suicides (and prevention methods)
[R] Inadequate premises security (guards, CCTV, locks & lighting)
[T] Insufficient or inadequate training
[T] Narcotics investigations (raids, undercover operations and tactics)
[T] Neck restraints and similar defensive tactics
[T] Physical force, restraint systems
[R] Product liability (firearms)
[T] Vehicle pursuits & emergency response policies and techniques
[T] Internal Affairs investigations
(9) Types of cases you will not accept.
(10) Other information relevant in evaluating your services (publications, awards, achievements, special interests).
· Over 24 citations, awards and commendations including, Heroism Citation, Police Officer of the Year, Excellence in Training (US Army), DA's Major Case Awards (narcotics & organized crime).
· Have authored over 100 professional articles published and several book chapters on issues of use of deadly force, firearms training/use, management and supervision, survival psychology, pursuits and narcotics operations.
· Who's Who in Law Enforcement Trainers (1995-2000), and the International Narcotics Enforcement Officers Association (Award of Honor winner).