April 2018 AELE case notes, publications, and seminars alert
You are welcome to share this information; please encourage your colleagues to sign up for periodic mailings here. We don’t insert commercial messages or sell your e-addresses.
• AELE is an extraordinary and unique resource, with free publications and online back issues since 2000. AELE has a library of more than 36,000 case digests organized into 700 + indexed topics. There are no advertisements, tracking “cookies” or popups on our website. Users do not have to preregister and there is no time limit on research sessions. Contents of our online law library may be copied & pasted, saved or printed (except for commercial purposes).
1. New AELE Monthly Law Journal article:
Recovery of Mental/Emotional Distress Damages Under the Prison Litigation Reform Act.
2. AELE's next seminar is on Use of Force in Las Vegas on April 30-May 3, 2018. For
more information and to register click here: http://www.aele.org/menu-lethal.html
Use of Force by law enforcement and correctional personnel is in the news every day. This comprehensive 4-day program covers all major aspects of use of force. It includes the use of lethal and non-lethal force, investigation and adjudication of use of force incidents, and complaints of excessive force. It also includes psychological and bio-mechanical aspects of the use of force.
Attendance at this program satisfies one of the requirements for the AELE Certified Litigation Specialist (CLS) Designation. Information on the CLS designation may also be found on the AELE web site at http://www.aele.org/cls-info.html
Next is AELE's
seminar on Discipline and Internal Investigations. Join us in Las Vegas on Oct.
29-Nov. 1, 2018.
For more information and to register click here: http://www.aele.org/menu-disc.html
AELE announces its revised and expanded educational program on Discipline and Internal Investigations. This revised and expanded 4-day program covers the legal, operational, investigative, adjudicative, and administrative aspects of public safety internal affairs and discipline. Recent events have focused on the ability and credibility of public safety agencies and governments to investigate, and control activities of their employees and the lack of accountability to the public. We have added several new topics such as social media, cameras, off-duty behavior and activities, cell phones, and racial and sexual harassment and hostile work environment. These are in addition to the other topics listed herein. The faculty includes very experienced practitioners.
3. The April 2018 issues of AELE's three periodicals have been uploaded.
The current issues, back issues since 2000, case digests since 1975 are FREE. Everyone is welcome to read, print or download
AELE publications without charge. The main menu is at: http://www.aele.org/law
*** Law Enforcement Liability Reporter ***
This issue has cases on assault and battery: handcuffs, firearms related: intentional use, firearms related: Second Amendment Issues, First Amendment, search and seizure: home/business, and search and seizure: search warrant.
*** Fire, Police & Corrections Personnel Reporter ***
This issue has cases on disability rights and benefits: line of duty, family and medical leave, First Amendment, handicap/abilities discrimination, homosexual and transgender employee rights, privacy rights, retaliatory personnel actions, whistleblower protection, and workers' compensation.
*** Jail and Prisoner Law Bulletin ***
This issue has cases on bail, defenses: statute of limitations, immigration detainees, medical care, medical care: dental, medical care: mental health, prison and jail conditions, Prison Litigation Reform Act: attorneys' fees, and prisoner death/injury.
4. Selected criminal law and procedure cases are at three other free websites.
AELE has four menus for the more than 36,000 case summaries, divided into 700 + topics.
1. Law enforcement civil liability at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/civilmenu.html
2. Employment law and discipline at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/emplmenu.html
3. Jail and prisoner legal issues at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/jailmenu.html
4. Electronic control weapons case summaries at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/ECWcases.html
View or print our guide: How to Navigate AELE’s Online Law Libraries.
AELE uses a professional mail service, to maintain our e-mail lists. AELE will not rent or disclose your e-mail address to commercial vendors. E-mails from AELE are sent by email@example.com, and do not have attached files or contain advertising. Sign up for our monthly e-mail alerts (or unsubscribe) at http://www.aele.org/e-signup.html Encourage your colleagues to do so.