January 2018 AELE case notes, publications, and seminars alert
You are welcome to share this information; please encourage your colleagues to sign up for periodic mailings here. We don’t insert commercial messages or sell your e-addresses.
• AELE is an extraordinary and unique resource, with free publications and online back issues since 2000. AELE has a library of more than 36,000 case digests organized into 700 + indexed topics. There are no advertisements, tracking “cookies” or popups on our website. Users do not have to preregister and there is no time limit on research sessions. Contents of our online law library may be copied & pasted, saved or printed (except for commercial purposes).
1. New AELE Monthly Law Journal article:
An Introduction to Qualified Immunity as a Defense in Prisoner Civil Rights Litigation – Part 2, 2018 (1) AELE Mo. L. J. 301.
2. AELE's next seminar is Jail and Prisoner Legal Issues. Join us in Las Vegas on January 22-25, 2018.
For more information and to register, click here: http://www.aele.org/menu-jail.html
The rumors of the death of prisoner litigation have been greatly exaggerated! This 4-day program
comprehensively covers all aspects of prisoner litigation including application
of the Prison Litigation Reform Act, Grievance procedures, medical care, discipline,
use of force, classification, in-custody deaths, failure to protect, searches, mail,
and conditions of confinement.
Attendance at this program satisfies one of the requirements for the AELE Certified Litigation Specialist (CLS) Designation.
Information on the CLS designation may also be found on the AELE web site at http://www.aele.org/cls-info.html
Following that is AELE's seminar on Use of Force in Las Vegas on April 30-May 3, 2018.
For more information and to register click here: http://www.aele.org/menu-lethal.html
Use of Force by law enforcement and correctional personnel is in the news every day. This comprehensive 4-day program covers
all major aspects of use of force. It includes the use of lethal and non-lethal force, investigation and adjudication of use of force
incidents and complaints of excessive force. It also includes psychological and bio-mechanical aspects of the use of force.
3. The January 2018 issues of AELE's three periodicals have been uploaded.
The current issues, back issues since 2000, case digests since 1975 are FREE. Everyone is welcome to read, print or download
AELE publications without charge. The main menu is at: http://www.aele.org/law
*** Law Enforcement Liability Reporter ***
This issue has cases on assault and battery, domestic violence/child abuse, false arrest/imprisonment: warrant, false arrest/imprisonment: unlawful
detention, firearms related: intentional use, First Amendment, interrogation, and wire/video recording by public.
*** Fire, Police & Corrections Personnel Reporter ***
This issue has cases on collective bargaining, First Amendment related, handicap/abilities discrimination, national security issues and security clearances,
race discrimination, race: reverse discrimination, religious discrimination, and retirement rights and benefits.
*** Jail and Prisoner Law Bulletin ***
This issue has cases on access to courts/legal info, defenses: statute of limitations, disability discrimination, mail, medical care, Prison Litigation Reform
Act: "Three Strikes" rule, religion, retaliation, segregation: administration, and youthful prisoners.
4. Selected criminal law and procedure cases are at three other free websites.
AELE has four menus for the more than 36,000 case summaries, divided into 700 + topics.
1. Law enforcement civil liability at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/civilmenu.html
2. Employment law and discipline at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/emplmenu.html
3. Jail and prisoner legal issues at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/jailmenu.html
4. Electronic control weapons case summaries at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/ECWcases.html
View or print our guide: How to Navigate AELE’s Online Law Libraries.
AELE uses a professional mail service, to maintain our e-mail lists. AELE will not rent or disclose your e-mail address to commercial vendors. E-mails from AELE are sent by email@example.com, and do not have attached files or contain advertising. Sign up for our monthly e-mail alerts (or unsubscribe) at http://www.aele.org/e-signup.html Encourage your colleagues to do so.