October 2016 AELE case notes and publications alert
You are welcome to share this information; please encourage your colleagues to sign up for periodic mailings here. We don’t insert commercial messages or sell your e-addresses.
• AELE is an extraordinary and unique resource, with free publications and online back issues since 2000. AELE has a searchable library of more than 35,000 case digests organized into 700 + indexed topics. There are no advertisements, tracking “cookies” or popups on our website. Users do not have to preregister and there is no time limit on research sessions. Contents of our online law library may be copied & pasted, saved or printed (except for commercial purposes).
1. State of Policy in Law Enforcement - PowerDMS, in collaboration with the Police Foundation, conducted a survey of law-enforcement agencies nationwide to gauge the current state of policies and training. This survey establishes a baseline for how agencies update their policies, ensure officers see those policies, and conduct training. The results — a benchmark for best practices — are presented in this critical report. View at http://www.powerdms.com/state-of-policy/
2. New AELE Monthly Law Journal article:
Overtime Pay Entitlement for Public Safety Employees Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) – Part 2.View here.
3. The October 2016 issues of AELE's three periodicals have been uploaded.
The current issues, back issues since 2000, case digests since 1975, and a search engine are FREE. Everyone is welcome to read, print or download AELE publications without charge. The main menu is at: http://www.aele.org/law
*** Law Enforcement Liability Reporter ***
This issue has cases on assault and battery: flashbangs, dogs, false arrest/imprisonment with and without warrants, firearms related: Second Amendment,
public protection: 911 systems, and search and seizure of persons and vehicles. View here.
*** Fire, Police & Corrections Personnel Reporter ***
This issue has cases on First Amendment, Fair Labor Standards Act: donning and doffing uniforms and equipment, pay disputes, political activity/patronage
employment, race/national origin discrimination, retaliatory personnel actions, sex discrimination, sexual harassment, and whistleblower protection. View here.
*** Jail and Prisoner Law Bulletin ***
This issue has cases on disability discrimination: prisoners, medical care, dental care, the "three strikes" rule of the Prison Litigation Reform Act, prisoner assault
by inmates, prisoner discipline, religion, search of prisoners, and sexual assault. View here.
4. AELE's next seminar is on Discipline and Internal Investigations for public safety agencies: police, corrections and the fire services.
Join us in Las Vegas on October 24-26.
More info at http://www.aele.org/menu-disc.html
This is a comprehensive 2 and a half day program dealing with all major aspects of discipline. The program covers both substantive and procedural issues as well as rules and regulations. The program includes the latest hot topics such as cell phones, social media, and constitutional issues.
It is followed by our annual seminar on Jail and Prisoner Legal Issues.
Join us in Las Vegas on January 9-12, 2017.
More info at http://www.aele.org/menu-jail.html
The rumors of the death of prisoner litigation have been greatly exaggerated! This 4-day program comprehensively covers all aspects of prisoner litigation including
application of the Prison Litigation Reform Act, grievance procedures, medical care, discipline, use of force, classification, in-custody deaths, failure to protect,
searches, mail, and conditions of confinement.
5. Selected criminal law and procedure cases are at three other free websites.
AELE has a free search tool covering our database of more than 35,000 case summaries, since 1975. http://www.aele.org/htdig/common/search.html
We also have four menus for the more than 35,000 case summaries, divided into 700 + topics.
1. Law enforcement civil liability at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/civilmenu.html
2. Employment law and discipline at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/emplmenu.html
3. Jail and prisoner legal issues at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/jailmenu.html
4. Electronic control weapons case summaries at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/ECWcases.html
View or print our guide: How to Navigate AELE’s Online Law Libraries.
AELE uses a professional mail service, to maintain our e-mail lists. AELE will not rent or disclose your e-mail address to commercial vendors. E-mails from AELE are sent by email@example.com in plain text, and do not have attached files or contain advertising. Sign up for our monthly e-mail alerts (or unsubscribe) at http://www.aele.org/e-signup.html Encourage your colleagues to do so.