August 2017 AELE case notes, publications, and seminars alert
You are welcome to share this information; please encourage your colleagues to sign up for periodic mailings here. We don’t insert commercial messages or sell your e-addresses.
• AELE is an extraordinary and unique resource, with free publications and online back issues since 2000. AELE has a library of more than 36,000 case digests organized into 700 + indexed topics. There are no advertisements, tracking “cookies” or popups on our website. Users do not have to preregister and there is no time limit on research sessions. Contents of our online law library may be copied & pasted, saved or printed (except for commercial purposes).
1. New AELE Monthly Law Journal article:
U.S. Supreme Court Rejects the Ninth Circuit’s Provocation Doctrine on Officer Shootings, 2017 (8) AELE Mo. L. J. 101.
2. AELE's next seminar is on DISCIPLINE and INTERNAL INVESTIGATIONS. Join us in Las Vegas
on October 2-5, 2017. For more information and to register, click here: http://www.aele.org/menu-disc.html.
AELE announces its revised and expanded educational program on DISCIPLINE and INTERNAL INVESTIGATIONS. This
revised and expanded 4 day program covers the legal, operational, investigative, adjudicative, and
administrative aspects of public safety internal affairs and discipline. Recent events have focused on the ability
and credibility of public safety agencies and government to investigate, and control activities of their employees and
the lack of accountability to the public. We have added several new topics such as social media, cameras, off-duty
behavior and activities, cell phones,and racial and sexual harassment and hostile work environment.
These are in addition to the other topics listed herein. The faculty includes very experienced practitioners.
Attendance at this program satisfies one of the requirements for the AELE Certified Litigation Specialist (CLS) Designation.
Information on the CLS designation may also be found on the AELE web site at http://www.aele.org/cls-info.html
Then, AELE's following seminar is on Jail and Prisoner Legal Issues. Join us in Las Vegas on
January 22-25, 2018. More info at http://www.aele.org/menu-jail.html
The rumors of the death of prisoner litigation have been greatly exaggerated! This 4-day program
comprehensively covers all aspects of prisoner litigation including application
of the Prison Litigation Reform Act, Grievance procedures, medical care, discipline,
use of force, classification, in-custody deaths, failure to protect, searches, mail,
and conditions of confinement.
3. The August 2017 issues of AELE's three periodicals have been uploaded.
The current issues, back issues since 2000, case digests since 1975 are FREE. Everyone is welcome to read, print or download AELE publications without charge. The main menu is at: http://www.aele.org/law
*** Law Enforcement Liability Reporter ***
This issue has cases on assault and battery (physical), attorneys' fees, defenses: statute of limitations, failure to disclose evidence, false arrest (no warrant), firearms related: intentional use, First Amendment, and video and audio taping by citizens.
*** Fire, Police & Corrections Personnel Reporter ***
This issue has cases on age discrimination, Bill of Rights laws, defamation, disciplinary punishment, First Amendment, Family and Medical Leave Act, handicap/abilities discrimination, sex discrimination, and shift rotation and work schedules.
*** Jail and Prisoner Law Bulletin ***
This issue has cases on false imprisonment, prison nd jail conditions, prisoner assault by inmates, prisoner death/injury, religion, sex offenders, and sexual assault.
4. Selected criminal law and procedure cases are at three other free websites.
AELE has four menus for the more than 36,000 case summaries, divided into 700 + topics.
1. Law enforcement civil liability at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/civilmenu.html
2. Employment law and discipline at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/emplmenu.html
3. Jail and prisoner legal issues at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/jailmenu.html
4. Electronic control weapons case summaries at http://www.aele.org/law/Digests/ECWcases.html
View or print our guide: How to Navigate AELE’s Online Law Libraries.
AELE uses a professional mail service, to maintain our e-mail lists. AELE will not rent or disclose your e-mail address to commercial vendors. E-mails from AELE are sent by firstname.lastname@example.org, and do not have attached files or contain advertising. Sign up for our monthly e-mail alerts (or unsubscribe) at http://www.aele.org/e-signup.html Encourage your colleagues to do so.