F.A.Q. Note 2.
The CLS/LP Academic Committee consists of:
• The Hon. Emory A. Plitt, Jr. (Chairman) – Senior Judge, Circuit Court of Maryland; former presiding Judge of Harford County District Court, and former Principal Counsel to the Maryland State Police and the Dept. of Public Safety and Corrections. Judge Plitt taught law as an adjunct professor at Villa Julie College in Baltimore (1972-1997) and was editor of the Corrections Legal Defense Quarterly (1993-1999). He serves as the Senior Course Director of AELE seminars.
• Eric P. Daigle, CLS – Former Connecticut State Trooper; attorney, police legal advisor and trainer. He is the Vice Chair of the IACP Legal Officer’s Section, and is a presenter at AELE seminars. He is the Chairman of the Association of Certified Litigation Specialists. Ex Officio member of the Academic Committee, representing the AELE Board of Directors.
• W. Kenneth Katsaris, CLS – Former elected Sheriff of Leon County, FL and a former police officer in St. Petersburg and Tallahassee, FL. He also served as a Commissioner for the Florida Correctional Standards Council. Mr. Katsaris founded the community college based criminal justice program in Tallahassee, and the Florida Criminal Justice Educators Assoc. He currently is a trainer and litigation consultant.
• Donald L. Leach, Ph.D., CLS – Consultant in management systems, risk management analysis, jail classification programs, and information systems, Former chief administrative officer, Lexington-Fayette Urban County Corrections Division; former Vice-President, American Jail Association
• Greg Meyer, CLS – Retired Captain, Los Angeles Police Dept. Training Academy and a former Vice-Chair of the American Society for Law Enforcement Training (ASLET). He is an experienced litigation consultant on police matters (civil and criminal) including the Rodney King and the BART shooting cases. Capt. Meyer writes a column for PoliceOne.com and lectures on police policy, training, equipment, tactics, supervision and review processes – especially regarding less-lethal weapons. He is a Past Chairman of the Association of Certified Litigation Specialists.
• John Peters, Ph.D., CLS – President and Chief Learning Officer for the Institute for the Prevention of In-Custody Deaths, in Henderson, NV. Author of books, articles and newsletters on defensive tactics, handcuffing, officer safety and excited delirium. Secretary, Association of Certified Litigation Specialists.
• Charles D. Reynolds, CLS – Former Chief of Police, Mayor and City Manager, Dover, NH; Past President, International Association of Chiefs of Police. Ex Officio member of the Academic Committee, representing the AELE Board of Directors.
• Wayne W. Schmidt, LL.M., J.D., CLS – Ex officio as the senior member of the AELE staff. Mr. Schmidt is the former director the Police Legal Center of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, the former operating director of the Police Legal Advisor Program at Northwestern University School of Law, a former law enforcement officer, and a police attorney since 1967; he is coauthor of a major textbook on criminal evidence.
• Dolores A. Stafford, M.S., CLS – Principal, D. Stafford and Associates; former Chief of Police, George Washington University (D.C.); Past President (1995-97) International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators; Chair of the IACLEA Accreditation Commission (2005-2008).
Return to FAQ page