Board of Police Commissioners
St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department
1200 Clark Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63103
Police Training Agreement
THIS AGREEMENT, made on the date set forth below, between the Board of Police Commissioners of the City of St. Louis (hereinafter “Board”), and _______________, currently residing at ____________________________, Missouri, hereinafter (“Recruit” or “Officer”);
WHEREAS, the Board has accepted him/her as a Civilian Recruit in Training and intends to employ him/her as a commissioned police officer of the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department; and
WHEREAS, Missouri law requires that the Recruit meet certain minimum training requirements in order to be qualified to perform the duties of a commissioned law enforcement officer in the City of St. Louis;
IT IS, THEREFORE, AGREED THAT;
1. The Board will pay all of the fees and expenses in connection with the training to be provided for the Recruit at the St. Louis Police Academy, and will further pay the Recruit a living allowance during said training period the amount established for same by Board.
2. The Recruit agrees to devote full time and best efforts to the training program and to diligently perform all assignments made in connection therewith.
3. It is understood and agreed to by the parties that, although Recruit is classified as a civilian employee of the Board, Recruit is not expected to, and will not be directed to, perform “work” which will be beneficial to Board during the training period. Recruit may, however, be required to perform certain tasks performed by commissioned police officers for the purpose of learning how to perform such tasks correctly.
4. It is further understood and agreed to by the parties that the living allowance paid by the Board to the Recruit during the Recruit’s training period is not payment for services rendered, but, rather, is an allowance provided to Recruit solely so the Recruit may devote full time to the training program, and further, that said living allowance does not constitute “wages”, “salary” or “compensation insofar as those words may be interpreted as payment made in return for services rendered.
5. The Recruit agrees that if he/she should resign his/her employment as a police officer for the Board at any time within forty-eight (48) months after the completion of said training program, and should accept employment within one (l) year from the date of such resignation with any other law enforcement agency, without regard to jurisdiction, then he/she shall reimburse the Board’s option, of the living allowance, or a portion of said full amount of the living allowance. Specifically, he/she shall reimburse the Board, at the Board’s option, either: 1) an amount equal to the sum of said living allowance divided by forty-eight (48), then multiplied by the number of months less than forty-eight (48) which the employee has served the Board as a Police Officer, or 2) a portion or percentage of the amount arrived at by the calculation set out in 1), supra.
6. The Recruit agrees that any amount to be so reimbursed or any portion of said amount may be deducted and retained by the Board from any compensation or other monies owing by the Board to the Recruit/Officer at the time of resignation.
7. In the event that the Board shall choose not to exercise its options set forth in Paragraphs 5 and 6, supra, or in the event that the funds available from the exercise of said option in Paragraph 6 shall be insufficient to fully reimburse the Board pursuant to Paragraph 5, supra, the Recruit/Officer agrees that he/she shall be personally responsible for the prompt repayment to the Board of all monies owed by him/her to the Board pursuant to said Paragraph 5, supra.
8. That the total amount of living allowance subject to reimbursement under Paragraph 5, supra, is $17,553, and that Recruit hereby agrees to repay Board the amount of $17,553.
9. Upon termination of his/her employment, the Recruit/Officer agrees to return to the Board any training materials, equipment, literature, books, pamphlets, etc., in his/her possession, that may have been obtained in said training program.
10. Recruit/Officer may make monthly installments of no less than an amount equal to one/sixth of the total amount owed at the time of resignation. If the recruit fails to pay all monies owed within six months of resignation, interest shall be charged at a rate of 9% compounded monthly on all monies still owing after six months after resignation.
IN WITNESS WHEROF, this Agreement has been executed this ___ day of ____________, 2005.
Recruit (Signature): ___________________
BOARD OF POLICE COMMISSIONERS OF THE CITY OF ST. LOUIS
For the Board of Police Commissioners
Date Training Commenced: _______________
Date Training Completed: _______________
STATE OF MISSOURI
CITY OF ST. LOUIS ss
On this __ day of _________,2005, before me personally appeared ________________, to me known to be the person described and who executed the forgoing instrument and acknowledged to me that he/she executed the same as his/her free act and deed.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my official seal in the City and State the day and year above written.