120th IACP Annual Conference Materials and 2013 Legal Articles
IACP Legal Officers Section (LOS)
2013 LOS Annual Conference Materials:
2013 Conference Annual Presentations:
• Employment Law Outline
2013 Update, Jody Litchford
• Cases Affecting Police Psychologists – Outline
Selected 2013 Cases for Police Psychologists, Wayne Schmidt, AELE
• Protecting Civil Rights & Consent Decrees
2. Less-Lethal Force Recommendations, DoJ/Portland, Ore.
3. Protecting Civil Rights, IACP/COPS (2006)
4. Agreement for Effective and Constitutional Policing, Eric Daigle, PowerPoint
• Crowd Control
1. Crowd Management and Civil Rights Protection, Eric Daigle, The Police Chief (Sep. 2012)
2. Crowd Management, & Intervention, California P.O.S.T.
3. Crowd Management and Protecting Civil Rights, Eric Daigle, 2012 (8) AELE Mo. L. J. 501
4. Law Enforcement Guidelines for First Amendment-Protected Events, DoJ (Oct. 2011)
5. Crowd Management - Protecting Civil Rights, Eric Daigle. PowerPoint
2013 Annual Conference Visual Presentations: (PDF)
1. Supreme Court Update (2012-2013 Term), Chief David Spotts
2. The Future of Forensic Evidence & 4th Am. Jurisprudence, Karen Kruger
3. Top 10 Reasons Why Chiefs Lose Their Jobs, Jack Collins
4. Officer-Involved Shootings Investigations, Lisa Judge
5. Ethics for Police Attorneys, Bill Amato & Eric Edwards
AELE Monthly Law Journal (online, PDF format)
A variety of scholarly articles on police liability, discipline,
labor & employment law and corrections legal issues
AELE ECW Case Summaries (updated regularly)
AELE ECW Articles and Resources (updated periodically)
Selected Legal Articles and Reports Published in 2013
Chronological (to be added)
1. Important Investigative Tools for Joint Terrorism Task Force Officers – I (Jan. 2013)
2. Important Investigative Tools for Joint Terrorism Task Force Officers – II (Feb. 2013)
6. Supreme Court Analyzes Issues in Dog-Sniff Cases (Jun. 2013)
7. Missouri v. McNeely and Warrantless Blood Draws (Aug. 2013)
9. Searches Incident to Arrest in the Smartphone Age (Dec. 2013)
* FLETC Legal Division
The Informer (Summaries of appellate court cases)
* Congressional Research Service
* IACP – Law related articles and documents in The Police Chief or on the IACP website
2. Secure Communities Program: Mandatory or Optional? (Feb. 2013)
4. The Mosaic Theory and Electronic Public Safety Technology (Mar. 2013)
6. Responding to Calls with Suicidal Suspects (May 2013)
11. Eyewitness Identification: An Update on What Chiefs Need to Know (Jul. 2013)
13. Missouri v. McNeely: What Does This Mean for DUI Enforcement? (Aug. 2013)
14. Eyewitness Identifications: A National Survey on Procedures (Sep. 2013)
16. Police Officers’ Videos Protect Officers and Departments (Oct. 2013)
17. Officer-Involved Shootings Investigative Protocols, IACP/COPS (Nov. 2013)
18. Police “Whistleblowers” and the First Amendment (Nov. 2013)
Xiphos – Summaries of recent criminal procedure cases
* PATC Legal & Liability Risk Management Institute
2013 Legal Updates (periodic case analyses)
Legal Questions Answered (Periodically)
* Force Science Institute, Ltd.
Force Science News Archive (Use of force, biometrics, psychology and law)
* Alameda County District Attorney
Point of View (Criminal law and procedure for law enforcement officers)
IACP Legal Officers Section info.
IACP Police Psychological Services Section (Legal outlines & slides)
Multiyear outlines and documents menu – compiled by AELE
This page is hosted as a public service by the AELE Law Enforcement Legal Center.
Materials from prior conferences can be accessed here.
PowerPoint ® is a trademark of the Microsoft Corporation
LOS conference documents may be reproduced for noncommercial educational purposes.
The FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin and The Police Chief are protected by copyright.
Documents and presentations may be uploaded to IACP Net.
Websites may hyperlink to this page.
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Last updated 12/24/2013