121st IACP Annual Conference Materials and 2014 Legal Articles & Documents
IACP Legal Officers Section (LOS)
2014 Conference Annual Presentations
* Conference Articles or Outlines
Disciplining Police Officers Re: Medical Marijuana. Jack Collins
Employment Law Update, Jody Litchford
Supplemental Cases for Police Psychologists, AELE
* Conference Visual Presentations
Disciplining Police Officers Re: Medical Marijuana, Jack Collins
• Also see Medical Marijuana and Public Safety Personnel, by B. Farber, 2011 (11) AELE Mo. L. J. 201
Ethics and Professionalism: No Lying, Cheating, or Stealing, Craig Ferrell Jr.
• Also see article, Ethics and Professionalism: No Lying, Cheating, or Stealing (2012)
Ethics in Law Enforcement, Bill Amato & Eric Edwards
Liability in Tactical Operations, Eric Daigle
Police Officer Discipline – Standards to Consider, Karen Kruger
Supreme Court Update, Chief David Spotts
Wearing a Badge and a Video Camera, Eric Daigle
AELE Monthly Law Journal (online, PDF format)
A variety of scholarly articles on police liability, discipline, labor & employment law and corrections legal issues
AELE ECW Case Summaries (updated regularly)
AELE ECW Articles and Resources (updated periodically)
AELE Body-Worn Cameras webpage (updated periodically)
* Selected Legal Articles and Reports Published in 2014
A Rational Foundation for Use of Force Policy, Training and Assessment, by K. Wallentine & J. Klein (Jun. 2014).
Legal Implications of Use-of-Force Continuums in Police Training, by Michael L. Ciminelli (2014)
1. Active Shooter Events from 2000 to 2012 (Jan. 2014)
2. Supreme Court Cases: 2012 to 2013 Term (Jan. 2014)
3. The Truth About Lying: What Investigators Need to Know (Jun. 2014)
5. Suicide by Cop: Broadening Our Understanding (Sep. 2014)
6. Executing Search Warrants in the Cloud (Oct. 2014)
* FLETC Legal Division
The Informer (Summaries of appellate court cases)
* Congressional Research Service
* IACP – Law related articles and documents in Police Chief or on the IACP website
1. Addressing Employee Misconduct: Standards to Consider (Jan. 2014)
2. Stanton v. Sims: Warrantless Entry in Hot Pursuit (Feb. 2014)
3. Legal Considerations in Adopting Officer Wellness Programs (Mar. 2014)
4. Medical Screening of Police Applicants (Mar. 2014)
5. Use of Pre-Employment Psychological Evaluations (Mar. 2014)
7. Model Policy #127, Body Worn Cameras (Apr. 2014)
8. Liability for Special or Private Police Officers (Apr. 2014)
11. “I Did It” – Confession Contamination and Evaluation (Jun. 2014)
13. The Dangers of Vehicle Pursuits: New Emerging Issues (Jul. 2014).
15. Do I Really Need a Warrant? (Sep. 2014)
16. Legal Risks of Failing to Care for Children of Arrested Persons (Oct. 2014)
17. Search Warrants for Digital Devices (Oct. 2014)
18. Officer Fatigue and Officer-Involved Shootings (Oct. 2014)
19. Police Officer Decertification (Nov. 2014)
20. Is “Presence” a Use of Force? (Nov. 2014)
21. Police Officers on the Front Line as Mental Health Workers (Dec. 2014)
Xiphos – Summaries of recent criminal procedure cases
* PATC Legal & Liability Risk Management Institute
2014 Legal Updates (Periodic case analyses)
Legal Questions Answered (Periodically)
* Force Science Institute, Ltd.
Force Science News Archive (Use of force, biometrics, psychology and law)
* Alameda County District Attorney
Point of View (Criminal law and procedure for law enforcement officers)
IACP Legal Officers Section info.
IACP Police Psychological Services Section (Legal outlines & slides)
Multiyear outlines and documents menu – compiled by AELE
This page is proudly hosted as a public service by the AELE Law Enforcement Legal Center.
Materials from prior IACP conferences can be accessed here.
PowerPoint ® is a trademark of the Microsoft Corporation
LOS conference documents may be reproduced for noncommercial educational purposes.
The FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin and The Police Chief are protected by copyright.
Documents and presentations may be uploaded to IACP Net.
Websites may hyperlink to this page.
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Last updated 12/10/2014